Middle-income retirees (those with a household retirement income of $25,000 to $75,000 per year) were asked to rank the top 5 goals they want to accomplish over the next three years. Here’s how their top goals stack up:
- More travel before it’s too late, perhaps to Asia or South America
- Stay healthy enough to stay out of a nursing home
- Stay fit enough to enjoy life and keep up with the grandkids
- Adapt home to current lifestyle and needs
- Spend as much time as possible with the grandkids
Retirees surveyed also said health issues were more significant than anticipated.
55% said healthcare was costing them more than expected, and they regretted not making healthcare savings a bigger priority prior to retirement.
21% said they wanted to be in better health.
15% said they wanted to be more physically fit.
36% said they intend to focus on health and wellness in retirement.
18% said they had dealt with unplanned health issues since retiring.
The survey was conducted in April 2012 by The Blackstone Group.