Social Security

Preparing for Retirement? A Financial Advisor Can Help

We all know what a critical time retirement can be.  Today’s retirees may spend thirty years or more not working.  That’s a heavy burden to place on your nest egg.  Take out too much, and your savings will run out.  Take money from the wrong account, and you’ll pay for it at tax time.  That’s why […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }
Business-Owners

No Excuse For Your Small Business Not To Offer a Retirement Plan

  There is definitely a problem in the small business world.  About 65% of all U.S. businesses are small businesses.  Only 29% of those have retirement plans.  The remaining 71% of small businesses offer no formalized way for employees or employers to save for the future, meaning they are dependent on Social Security and, at most, $5,000 per […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }
health_costs

Quote of the Week: Health Care Costs in Retirement

A 65-year-old couple who retired in 2011 can expect to spend an average of $230,000 on health care services not covered by Medicare, not including any additional expenses for nursing home care, during their retirement. Fidelity Benefits Consulting, March 31, 2011

Read full story Comments { 0 }
women wealth

Women Want More From Financial Advisors

Two-thirds of the world’s wealth will be held by women by 2030, estimates say. While men still make most of the investing decisions, women continue to narrow the gap.  In 2008, women controlled about 23% of the world’s wealth on average.  By 2009, that number had grown to 27%, with $20 trillion worldwide in the […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }
golden egg

Time is Running Out To Fund Your IRA …..

Don’t Forget …. You have only until Tuesday, April 17 to fund your Traditional IRA or Roth IRA account for the 2011 tax year.  This is a “use it or lose it” opportunity to put money where the IRS won’t tax it for many, many years, or will never tax it, in the case of Roth IRA […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }
piggy bank many hands

5-Minute Fix: Are You Saving Enough to Meet Your Goals?

No time to spare?  Don’t worry.  The “5-Minute Fix” shows you how to have a big impact in your financial life with just a little time. Okay.  So you are putting away a little bit of money every paycheck into your 401(k).  Or maybe you contribute to your Roth IRA.  But how do you know if it’s enough? […]

Read full story Comments { 5 }
target savings needed to accumulate 500k-2

Start Saving Early … Or It May Cost You

You probably already know that one of the keys to successful financial planning is to “start early.” There’s a good reason for that.  If you start saving in your 20s or 30s, and let your money compound over time, you don’t need to save that much.  However, if you delay until you are in your 40s or […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }
Money Tool

Quote of the Week: Money is Just a Tool

“It’s not about money.  It’s about living.  Money is just a tool to help you live your best life.” Kara McGuire, “Seven money tips to learn and live by“ Minneapolis Star Tribune, January 31, 2012  

Read full story Comments { 0 }
refi

Last Call for Refinancing?

If you are standing on the sidelines waiting to refinance, don’t wait too much longer.  Rates are at historic lows.  “This is an excellent time to refinance,” said Greg McBride, senior financial analyst at Bankrate.com, in a February 2012 Wall Street Journal  interview.  If you can’t decide if a refi is right for you, here’s some factors to keep […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }
married and money

Young Singles: Already Behind at the Savings Game?

Singles are surging.  They number almost 100 million and make up 43% of the adult population in the United States. But therein lies a problem, at least when it comes to retirement savings.   Young singles (between the ages of 22 and 35) are about half as likely to open a retirement savings account and save for the future as their married […]

Read full story Comments { 0 }