Lost Your Social Security Benefits Tax Form?

As a public service for our retiree readers, we’re repeating below today’s post from the Squared Away Blog, an excellent online publication of Boston College’s Center for Retirement Research (you can also visit their blog directly by clicking here). The article provides useful advice on how to get a duplicate form reporting the Social Security benefits you received in 2014. If you’re collecting Social Security benefits, you’ll need the information on this form for your tax return:

“Lose your SSA-1099 tax form showing your total Social Security benefits in 2014? Or perhaps you moved and never received it in the mail.

SSA form

Last year, more than 156,000 retirees did just that and had to call the U.S. Social Security Administration for a replacement. But help has arrived.

For the first time, retirees can go to the agency’s website to retrieve and print out a duplicate SSA-1099 form.

The SSA-1099, which is mailed in January, provides benefit information necessary for filing an individual’s income taxes. The SSA-1042S, a similar form for immigrants and other non-residents, is also available online.

To access the forms, taxpayers must log on to their existing personal account on SSA.gov, or create a new account.  Taxpayers can also update their addresses online – to make sure they receive the form next year.”

Article above is from Boston College’s Center for Retirement Research – Squared Away Blog.

About Mari Adam

Mari Adam, Certified Financial Planner™ has been helping individuals and families chart their financial futures for over twenty-five years. Have a question about your financial situation? Ask Mari!

, ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply